The master's degree program is open for admission in both winter and summer semester, starting in October and April, respectively.

The application deadlines are

  • 15th June for the next winter semester,
  • 30th November for the next summer semester.

Please ensure that your application including all required documents is uploaded to the KIT application portal by the deadline date.

Online Application Portal

You can only apply online; the online portal will open about one month before the application deadlines end:

Online portal for international applicants 

Online portal for German applicants

We will be glad to inform you when the application portal opens - please send us a short email.

Required documents

  • Transcript of records
  • Certificate of bachelor's degree (including diploma supplement, if available)*
  • Certificate of English language proficiency (see faqs below for details)
  • Proof of extracurricular achievements, if applicable

Please make sure you upload official documents detailing the scope of the courses for the entry requirements (credit points, class hours). It would be very much appreciated if you list your courses for the entry requirements by filling out this form. A motivation letter is welcome, but not compulsory. It is sufficient to submit ordinary copies/scans (not authenticated) with your application.

*If you are about to finish your bachelor's degree, but the degree certificate is not iussed by the time of your application, please submit a current version of your transcript of records. The bachelor's certificate must be handed in at latest two months after the beginning of the semester for which provisional admission was granted.

faq for the application procedure

After submitting the application do I need to send the hard copies through post to the university?
No, uploading scans of the documents is sufficient. But the original documents are required for the enrolment here in Germany.
Do I need an APS?
You only need an APS if you're a student from China, Vietnam or India (new since 2023). The APS is a joint institution of the German Embassy and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD): it checks the authenticity of educational biographies and the corresponding educational certificates, and issues certificates if the result is positive. The APS certificate is a requirement for applying to a German university for these countries only.
English was the medium of instruction (MOI) in my previous studies. Do I need to present a language certificate?
YES - an MOI-certificate is not enough. You an apply without a test result but must state that you will have one by the time of enrolment (see below).
Exceptions: Proof is not required for applicants who have completed their university or high school education in the USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand; or for candidates who have completed a study program at a university in the European Economic Area or Switzerland with English as only language of instruction stated in the degree certificate, transcript of records, or diploma supplement.
I don't have an appropriate English language certificate yet. Can I still apply?
The required language certificate can be uploaded later but has to be presented upon enrolment at the latest, as stated in the university regulations. Please be aware that it might already be required to get the necessary visa. Any admission is on the condition that you have the language certificate when enrolling here in Germany.
Can I also submit an IELTS Indicator or Duolingo English Test?
No, an IELTS indicator test is not enough. Duolingo Tests are not accepted, either.
What is the "HZB" in the application form?
The "HZB" is your university entrance qualification, i.e. "Proof of university entrance qualification" or "high school diploma/school leaving certificate"(HZB=Hochschulzugangsberechtigung)
What is the "MZB" in the application form?
The "MZB" is your degree that qualifies you for a master's program, i.e. your bachelor degree.
The status of your application changed to COMPLETE. Is there anything else you need to do from your side?
Your status ‚complete‘ simply means is has passed the first hurdle of being complete and correct and now awaits the scrutiny of the admission team. Have you filled in our form and added it to your uploaded documents yet?
You have filled in the application form but can't find the 'submit' button?
In the application portal: on the left hand side there is tab for 'my applications'. Open that and under "Application state" you'll see "In preparation" and a text saying your application hasn't been submitted yet. Then there's something about clicking on "Angaben überprüfen" (check details). This is wrong. It should say "click on Application summary" in the list on the right hand side. That will then lead you to the right page where you can finally send the application off.

I'm having problems with the application page
There's a help desk page with a walkthrough for the application portal on the Department of Civil Engineering, Geo and Environmental Sciences web pages. See the English version of the help desk page